PDA

View Full Version : Hello, again, and I'm off on a trip...

Zac Sexton
11-02-2009, 11:15 PM
This is my first post since Small Streams wonderfully reappeared. I wanted to quickly say hello, again, and make a note that I'm taking off on another research trip for my book on fly-fishing for Cutthroat trout. My working title, now is: "Chasing Cutthroat." I'm all done guiding at Rock Creek Cattle Company. I did a similar trip last fall, but need to re-shoot a few sub species to get enough publishable photos. And, if things go to a semblance of a decent schedule, I will have some time to mess around and fish for "fun" for Steelhead and Salmon on the West Coast--probably in Oregon. I am leaving tomorrow for Beaver Crk. in SE Utah, near Moab, to document the newly discovered population of Greenback Cutthroat found there. This is very exciting for me, as I love finding unknown populations, b/c it makes me happy to think they aren't always dissapearing on us. This trip is a hermitage of sorts, as it will just be me and the dogs. I may meet some friends along the way, but will have to see what happens. I plan on being on the road and in the desserts and mountains for about a month. First, Utah and the Greenbacks, maybe some Colorado River Cutties. Then, California and the Paiutes, again. Then, Nevada and the Humboldt and Lahontan Cutts. Then, Oregon for the Willow/Whitehorse Cutts., then the Coast for Chromeheads and King Salmonids!!! Might catch some Coastal Cutts., too.

My connections with the outside world will be intermittant, but I will try to update you all as often as I can. Any donations of beans, rice, coffee, beer, whiskey and scotch, will be greatly appreciated. I am taking a 3 wt. Pent. rod I built from throw-away blanks from Jerry Kustich, my 5 wt. Winston that Jeff Walker made, and my 6 wt. rod I've been messing with. I also have an 8 wt. and 4/5 wt. rod that Sam Drukman made out of graphite. I hate to say it, except that it is very true--they are very nice rods and are, afteral custom-made by Sam. We'll see how the 6 wt. holds up for the big anadromous fish, but I will likely be using the graphite 8 wt. for those fish. Please don't hold it against me.

In Wild Waters,

Zac

greendrake
11-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Keep us filled in Zac(here and at Grassart) and just out of curiosity" When are you going to grow up?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just kidding Buddy! Enjoy your youth because that's time to gallavant around the country like you are doing.Looking forward to the day your book is published. :thumbup:
Will