PDA

View Full Version : sushi

adam
11-01-2009, 09:55 PM
My wife and I have been making sushi. We have a oriental grocery store near the house, fish market is in the store. I can get Pompano, Little Necks, Maguro, Hamachi, Hokigai, Unagi and if I wanted, Quail Eggs (yuch!) or anything sushi. I have learned that you put a little sushi vinegar and a dash of sugar in the rice to make it sticky and taste good. The Niri paper is a personal choice, there are so many kinds. You don't have to have a mat to make the rolls either. I like hand rolls, I'm going to have to visit a sushi bar for some instruction, I can't get the cone right.

I love sushi and the $ to full ratio is about 100% more, easy.

Pictures to follow.

Gerard
11-04-2009, 05:37 AM
Yep, I like sushi but not all types – can’t handle tuna sashimi for example. I really love C.rolls. :bigthumb:
Bertus is the man for sushi – he can conjure up a plate in no time. I recall a trip to the Maldives a few years back (in fact it was 6 years ago on November 2nd) where the guys caught some dogtooth tuna off the back of the boat – they were eating sashimi off the bone, just dipping it into shoyu and a bit of wasabi every now and then. :sick:

adam
11-04-2009, 07:21 AM
That's what I want to do, right there in the boat.

mems
11-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Aloha Adam, we have sushi nights all the time. I make a bunch of ahi poke and cut up thin sliced ahi and mahi and ono for nagiri. We cut up the veggies, and avocados and get some flying fish eggs and make our own rolls and have fun. Get some good sake and enjoy a feast. We do have good local sushi bars to go to, but it is fun to make them at home. You are right about the rice and vinegar, try some shredded carrot and ginger in the rice next time.
As far as sashimi off the boat, fresh killed fish is too chewy. It is better iced and cut up the next day. I have a big block in the fridge for tonight. I am going to steak a nice ahi and grill it with terriyaki sauce. It has been raining for a week now, and the first winter storm of the season has hit, but the ahi and mahi are still out there swimming around. It is just a litttle to dicey to go out this weekend with 20 foot swells. Mems.

rsetina
11-14-2009, 12:51 AM
My wife and I just started making sushi at home. For my nieces birthday we took fixings up to my sister's house to make California Rolls, Tuna, and Salmon. What a big hit that was. It's so easy if you don't care how they look. The taste is the important thing anyway, right?

adam
11-16-2009, 11:12 PM
It's like anything, making it look good is the art in it. Practice and all of a sudden, you make a $70 sushi meal at home for about $20 no problem.

I'm pretty careful about NOT storing the meat. I buy it from the fish market, it is slightly frozen and time it's thaw with the rice being ready to go.

Timing with sushi is everything as well.

Soon, we will try some more exotic rolls.

I'll post images soon.

Nice to read someone else does it and enjoys the path too.

Satoshi
11-24-2009, 10:14 AM
My wife and I have been making sushi. We have a oriental grocery store near the house, fish market is in the store. I can get Pompano, Little Necks, Maguro, Hamachi, Hokigai, Unagi and if I wanted, Quail Eggs (yuch!) or anything sushi. I have learned that you put a little sushi vinegar and a dash of sugar in the rice to make it sticky and taste good. The Niri paper is a personal choice, there are so many kinds. You don't have to have a mat to make the rolls either. I like hand rolls, I'm going to have to visit a sushi bar for some instruction, I can't get the cone right.

I love sushi too. and why not? I'm a Japanese!
With Maguro, Hamachi, Unagi, and even Hokkigai, it seems that I would be able to survive in Phoenix ;)

Gerard
11-26-2009, 03:28 AM

I love sushi too. and why not? I'm a Japanese!
With Maguro, Hamachi, Unagi, and even Hokkigai, it seems that I would be able to survive in Phoenix ;)

When it comes to eel (unagi) I'd pass... :sick: However, stripers love them and striper sushi should be good. :lol:

JB in SC
11-26-2009, 08:36 AM
My wife and I like unagi. Very tasty when done correctly.

adam
11-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Eel = unagi

I don't like it, my wife does. When I eat it, great taste but the idea just doesn't sit well so I don't eat it.

Sushi is an art, food art. Anyone can do it, it's all in the presentation. I enjoy honing the knife on sushi.

greendrake
11-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah I gotta agree with Adam on that one.Eel is very similar in taste to catfish.But I remember watching my grandfather fry up an eel the only time I ever tried it.It curled up and uncurled and just slithered around that big ol' cast iron skillet.Looked just like a snake does after you chop their head off.They will crawl around the yard from reflex action for quite a while even though they are stone cold dead.But OMG do I love fried snapping turtle.I'm not a real big fan of sushi but after a few beers and with plenty of hot sauce I'll imbibe a bit.

Chef
11-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Love it and make at home all the time. :bigthumb: Doing rolls and combining cultures is quite fun. For example; Spicy Mexican rice cooked to a sticky rice texture and then the sustainable corVina from the Mar de Cortez or Toro from Japan. Basically just having fun experimenting with cultures and flavor profiles can actually be a blast with a few Negro Modelo's thrown into the mix.

Eel is by far one of the best but in most cases it's served smoked slash cooked so in essence it's not sushi. Raw eel is another story.

:clap:

adam
11-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Man I'm glad your back, hope your sending feathers at dawn's crack...

Chef
11-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Bravo! Nice looking meal indeed scented with the Kirin to tie it all together. :thumbup:

adam
11-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Chef, you are too nice.

M said she wanted to get a shot of our first sushi attempts so we could see if we are getting better as we go.

We shop at House of Rice in Scottsdale, a little oriental grocery. We need new dinnerware and I'm going to turn Japanese that way...

Next time I'll get the roll on a plate.

JB in SC
11-30-2009, 12:33 PM
No way it would have lasted long enough to reach a plate in our house....

rsetina
12-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Looks delicious Adam. I found that the look is hit and miss for me. Most of the time they look pretty good. If that's your first attempt, I have to say you did well. It comes down to patience and the careful adding of the ingredients in just the right amount. I think the amount of rice is the key but most of the time I think I add too much rice.

Satoshi
12-02-2009, 07:46 PM
adam, the norimaki you prepared looks really nice.

By the way, unagi (eel) is not very popular for sushi in Japan, though people like the fish very much. Instead, they usually use anago (ah-nah-go; conger eel), which looks similar to eel but tastes very differently. For sushi, they cook anago in a sauce, which they don't throw away after cooking, but continue to use forever in the restrant. So the sushi of anago is sometimes considered to be a touchstone of the sushi restaurant.

Alpinefly
12-02-2009, 09:51 PM
I especially like the Sea Urchin !!!! Come down to Tucson and I will take you to Takamatsu !!!!! Fantastic selection of Sushi (Qual eggs don't count !!!! Can't get into Caviar either....never could).