PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry your gear?

terry
10-28-2009, 07:17 PM
How I carry my gear has been a constant struggle for me. Like most I started out with a vest. From there I went to various chest packs. Then it was a shoulder bag-lanyard combo. After that, it was a backpack-lanyard combo. Than I just started using the backpack with a couple items pinned to the straps in front. This worked for a while, but I hated taking it off every time i wanted something out of the back.

Recently I switched to a Orvis "sling pack". I think this may be it for me. I like how it keeps everything on my back, yet I can easily swing it around to access my gear. I keep a black set of hemo/scissors on a zinger and a bottle of floatant pinned to the front. This set up really works well for me.

How about you?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q52/terry13111/54.jpg

greendrake
10-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Terry,

Like most old goats(I'll be 62 in Jan.) I don't care that much for change.I started out using a vest.After trying just a few other things in my early 20's,I soon went back to a vest.That's what I'll probably stay with because I can't imagine anybody coming up with something that suits me better than a vest.Unless,of course,I could find somebody to volunteer as a ghillie and carry all my crap for me :lol:
Will

adam
10-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Anyone who has read many of my articles knows that I started with a vest, quickly got rid of it and ran around trying various chest packs,chest fly boxes, neck boxes and the settled on a brook bag. On known streams, I carry a small Wheatley in my pocket with a nipper round my neck on a hunk of fly line.

You don't need a bunch of stuff on small streams.

That being said, the last three adventures, I've carried a ultra-light flash pack with some things to stop for a shore lunch. I am gravitating toward an interest in hiking big time. I have a couple of trips planned, overnight trips on stream. The first one is a rugged ten mile stretch of stream, a camp half way. That would be sleeping bag, stove, meals and all and I'm bringin spirts along, everclear will run both me and the stove.

But all aside, the less the better.

Nipper, a few flies, hemostats and maybe a spool of flouro and thats that.

Mostyn
11-02-2009, 11:59 AM
I use a Fish-Pond Chest & Back-Pack!

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/3087/p8010228.jpg (http://img691.imageshack.us/i/p8010228.jpg/)

trout-nut
11-02-2009, 05:55 PM
I've always wore a vest. I tried once before to condense things down abit but the atempt failed. I just bought a small chest pack from fishpond that are discontinued so I'll will try again. It just don't feel right when you don't have all of my stuff with you. :sunny:

Sean
11-02-2009, 06:58 PM
simms waistpack. I used to use a fishpond one but I like the simms a lot more. smaller more streamlined.

BrkTrt
11-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I have been using this now for about 3 years and love it.

Carries every thing I need on a small stream.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/brookie47/DSCN6691.jpg

- Brk Trt

adam
11-03-2009, 12:47 AM
http://www.grassart.net/Arizona/Brookville/images/Adam_Tenkara_Rod.jpg
Fishing Tenkara style photography by mikeytwoshoes

HERE (http://grassart.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1109) is a list of items I will be taking on 1-2 night pack fishing hikes.

Doctor
11-10-2009, 12:18 PM
For almost all my trouting I need my Orvis Vest , so much a part of my way of fishing,everything where it always is ,so can find things with my eyes closed.
When Summer salmon fishing I have a tiny holds a Wheatly over the neck pack Adam sold me years ago, with a Wheatley some tippet a spare leader/poly tip,snips and forceps,/haemostats I am good to go !
That does not mean thats everything as the Trunk of the car is stilll a travelling tackle shop.

gusstrand
11-10-2009, 12:53 PM
I use one of the older Orvis pouches/bags...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/piscator/brushyaug30_3_blogsize.jpg

skyphix
11-10-2009, 01:30 PM
A backpack I found on clearance at Eddie Bauer ($10) that has enough bungee to hold what I need it to is only used on full day or long hike in trips. Otherwise, cargo pants.

Kollman
11-11-2009, 08:42 AM
I hear you on the simplifying things. I flip between a lumbar pack for when I am carping and/or need the water on hot summer days and then go to a whatever I can stuff in a pocket or hang off my jeans the rest of the time. I catch about as many fish and don't sound like a circus coming to town.

JB in SC
11-12-2009, 11:11 PM
A spool of tippet, a dozen or so flies, hemostats, nipper, camera sometimes...fits in two shirt pockets. Less is more.

jdm5047
11-13-2009, 01:11 AM
I have some obscure product made by Sage, but its just a waist pack with a few pockets. Fits 2-3 boxes, tippet & leaders and any other gadgets I need. In some circles, it could be called a fanny pack :shock: but I love using it. I have and occasionally use a vest but I have found that 75% of my fishing can be done with the contents of the small waistpack. I spin it behind me when I'm fishing, but have the forceps hanging close for quick access.

I certainly prefer the minimalist approach to fishing, it certainly simplifies fishing. I find it no coincidence, though, that the consensus in this thread is "less is more". The small stream fishing mentality can apply many fishing situations.

rsetina
11-13-2009, 01:15 AM
I'll be getting a nook sack from Recycled Waders soon and that will be my new minimalist bag.

http://www.recycledwaders.com/graphics/products/popup/nooksack/nooksack_main_1.jpg

JB in SC
11-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Rick,

I'd be interested to know how the new bag works out. I wonder if a Nalgene will fit (I think so) with a few other items. If so, it would make a nice pack for those "more than minimal" days on stream.

JB

rsetina
11-13-2009, 02:58 PM
JB, I'll let you know how it works out and if a Nalgene bottle will fit in it. It's only 3 inches wide but since it's a soft side it might. I was thinking a filtering water bottle would be just as good and refillable. Plus I wont have to carry the extra weight in water. I've really started to go more towards the minimalist style of thinking.

rayfound
11-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Minimalist, to me, means least amount of effort to hit the stream... as such, my vest fits the bill.

I leave it packed with my regular fly box, tippet spools, reel, floatant, fishing license, etc...

I grab that and My rod tube and I'm ready to fish. In the spring, it just stays in my car for afternoon quick trips.

ZeissMan
11-15-2009, 09:11 PM
I have been using the Filson strap vest for several years.
Seems to keep what I need, and maybe a little more.
Just got the Recycled Waders bag and it is great for a couple of boxes.
Wear a running pack with water bottle on my waist.
~ ZM

BrkTrt
11-16-2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.grassart.net/Arizona/Brookville/images/Adam_Tenkara_Rod.jpg
Fishing Tenkara style photography by mikeytwoshoes

HERE (http://grassart.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1109) is a list of items I will be taking on 1-2 night pack fishing hikes.

Adam, beautiful little stream.

What state?

- Brk Trt

rsetina
11-17-2009, 01:12 AM
I received my Recycled Waders nook sack today and I have to say I'm impressed with the quality. JB asked if it would hold a nalgene bottle so I put a 2.5 cup bottle in the bag and it took up basically half the bag, so if I were to carry a water bottle it would be like I thought, a water filtering bottle. That way I could have as much water as I need, but not have to carry the weight of the water all the time. The Nook Sack, a bottle for water, and a net is all I'd need for a day on the water. You could take a Camel Back for water too if you didn't want to use a filtering bottle. I'm trying to get the gear down to a minimum as much as possible.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/rsetina/DSC_0005.jpg

adam
11-17-2009, 07:55 AM
I received my Recycled Waders nook sack today and I have to say I'm impressed with the quality. JB asked if it would hold a nalgene bottle so I put a 2.5 cup bottle in the bag and it took up basically half the bag, so if I were to carry a water bottle it would be like I thought, a water filtering bottle. That way I could have as much water as I need, but not have to carry the weight of the water all the time.

Cool bag.

Take a look at the smallest "Platypus" hydration bag. It's a soft side bottle, weighs just grams and looks to be the size of the bag. That would fit and wouldn't take up space like the bottle pictured.

What state?

This is a stream on the White Mountain Apache Reservation in Eastern Arizona. It is a stream that I lovingly call, "Brookville" and have written about it over the years. It's one of those streams that you wouldn't even give a glance at by the road but it goes and goes and is full of brook, browns and some sort of hybrid rainbow. By far one of my favorite streams due to it's diverse, changing course.

Brooktrout
01-13-2010, 03:23 PM
less is more is always a good thing. lots of good ideas above. when i go out i tend to go for the whole day so i need a few more things, like food and water, and where i fish rain is often an afternoon occurance so a rain jacket is a must.
this works AWESOME for what i do. i pack light but use it and i am good for the whole day of hiking in, fishing all day, and then hiking out.

fisheye
01-20-2010, 05:12 PM
fits my tweed hat, pipe, a dry pair of knickers and sport jacket:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd297/mingus43/haf375-300.jpg

wb4tjh
01-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Over the past 40+ years, I have been thru a number of vests and chest packs, but I finally got tired of the walking tackle shop/Dolly Parton syndrome and decided I wanted to be able to see my feet. So for the past couple of years, I have been carrying a British made Chapman Fell 14 shoulder bag. It holds everthing I need, including a light Hardy rain jacket, water bottle, lunch and extra spools and several fly boxes. I've gotten rid of things I never use. It's light and comfortable, stays out of the way on my hip, and best of all, I can see my feet again. It also makes it a lot easier to get down to business when nature calls. :lol:

casaboba
01-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Simms Waist-pack. Light, compact, convenient.

wrknapp
01-28-2010, 09:44 PM
I also use the Nook Sack from recycled waders. I noticed it first on Daniel in one of his TenkaraUSA videos. I don't always need it but the extra room over my shirt pockets is nice for extras like food and drink.

Randy

troutrageous1
01-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Willy Joe Amp chest pack. Just enough size to carry all I need including a flask...of water of course.

mikeytwoshoes
01-29-2010, 12:54 AM
pockets.

adam
01-29-2010, 06:34 AM
I used to carry a Hardy "Brook" Bag, but now I'm apt to carry a backpack as detailed above. I am now using a ultra-light pack, less than a pound, mostly made of high tech spectra, kevlar and other strong, light fabric. Because my time is limited, when I fish, I'm hiking much much more and am moving towards overnighting onstream. Out of my pockets is my favorite, been writing about it for years but at this time I must say, I'm more apt to use a back pack. S.Brooks suggestion looks good although I don't really like a vest, that's the sort I could fathom.

Anyway, I'll probably be carrying two rods with me this season, a Tenkara rod and a pack fly rod. I've never done that before but the pack will allow it no problem. This down season, I've really been focusing on my kit, minimalist but so efficient, I spent some time on it and the people I meet doing the research all had pretty much the same ideas about what to carry. I'll be carrying a little survival kit as well. I hope that I never need it but do plan on using some items out of it to keep current.

One of my things to do is to find a spot to pitch the solo tent, three or four miles from the road and fish around the area out of my pockets. One meal of my wild trout, some spirits, pounding a little djembe to the tune of Apache Mountain songs, way high in the mountains...

Really stoked about fishing this year.

ofuros
02-15-2010, 02:28 AM
For a short session....I use a 2 litre hydro pack,there's just enough room for pkt of scroggin(trail mix,dried fruit & nuts) baby gorrilla grip tripod,extra pkt of leaders tippet material & Led headlamp.
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac276/ofuros/Bits/P2150010Small.jpg

Flies,nips,floatant,sinkant,camera..etc, fit into cargo pants pockets,easily accessable without taking the pack off.

If its an isolated area I'm exploring or If there's chance I might get caught out in flash flood...etc, I'll take a slightly larger day pack,with sleeping bag,3/4 lenth air mattress & bivvy bag.
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac276/ofuros/Bits/P2150020Small.jpg

Cheers,
Ofuros

Trucha
02-16-2010, 12:08 PM
My vest is over 20 years old. I replaced the zippers with some heavy duty zippers, replaced the net D-Ring (the net got caught on my mountain bike when I came head over heels down a slope), removed the wool patch. I try to wash the vest once a year.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j251/NMTrucha/vest1.jpg

Dottiesdad
02-16-2010, 11:22 PM
I'll toss in another vote for the Orvis sling pack. Got one last year late in the season and it seems to be a very good solution for me.

Vest was too much for small water and too hot for summer and early fall fishing.

The fanny pack route did not work out for me. Stuff kept getting wet when I had to go deep to get upstream. And then there was having to deal with junk around my waste. Seemed to get all caught up i the brush too.

The sling pack keeps things high and dry and out of the way. Enough room for some water and a sandwich which is nice.

Best,

Bob

rayfound
02-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Well, Dealsonthefly.com made me an offer I couldn't refuse. $39.99 for a William Joseph "Escape" Pack - looking back, I would be happy with this pack at $79.99.

Its a nice backpack, with chest packs... but I love the modular design. I can take the chest packs off of the shoulder straps, and put them on the hip belt or any other Vertical or horizontal strap... for light stream use, I will just put one of them on a wading belt, or a water-bottle holster fanny pack I have. I love that I never have to load/unload gear... just pop them on where I want them.

Its build construction is superb.

Here I am on the Owens last week... an average sized brown that fell to a BWO dry tossed on my 00wt.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs124.snc3/17145_790145195565_3405664_45912974_5231596_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs244.ash1/17145_790145210535_3405664_45912977_1215708_n.jpg

Chest packs loaded on hip belt (more streamlined than on shoulder straps).

john
02-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Military surplus combat medic field pack. 3 large zippered pockets with one open top pocket. Shoulder strap. Simple and holds the entire contents of my vest.

troutrageous1
02-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Well, Dealsonthefly.com made me an offer I couldn't refuse. $39.99 for a William Joseph "Escape" Pack - looking back, I would be happy with this pack at $79.99.
I almost bit on that a few weeks ago...and then again when they re-ran it over the past weekend. Based on your review, should it come up again, I think I'm in.

adam
02-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Military surplus combat medic field pack. 3 large zippered pockets with one open top pocket. Shoulder strap. Simple and holds the entire contents of my vest.

One of these?

[attachment=0:2oj3v8zi]m3.jpg[/attachment:2oj3v8zi]

john
02-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Adam...that's it. Works well for my purposes.

adam
02-19-2010, 09:28 AM
It is called an M3 and that is me in Korea in the mid 80's.

john
02-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Adam,

I found my M3 at a surplus store years ago after you described carrying a claymore bag (if memory serves correct). Couldn't find one like you described but found the M3. Been carrying it ever since.

steve101
02-19-2010, 11:20 AM
I use this fishpond chest pack. It has a detachable backpack with hydration bladder but I rarely need to bring that along.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh216/steveocall/Picture057.jpg

Steve

adam
02-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Adam,

I found my M3 at a surplus store years ago after you described carrying a claymore bag (if memory serves correct). Couldn't find one like you described but found the M3. Been carrying it ever since.

You have an excellent memory...

toledotimber
03-18-2010, 08:07 AM
I started with a vest, then I went to a waist pack from Bass Pro meant for hunters, then a lanyard, and I just got a new mini chest/waist pack. Here's the new one: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Allen-Fly-Chest ... 25595d23e1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Allen-Fly-Chest-Pack-Great-for-Trout-Steelhead-Bass_W0QQitemZ160413066209QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item25595d23e1) I actually got mine from Cabela's Bargain Cave for $8. I haven't used it yet, but I think I'm really going to like it. There are loops that are intended for the waist belt to pass through while wearing it as a chest pack, but I'm just going to pass my regular belt through it and use it as a mini waist pack. I've also recently changed from chest-high waders to breathable hippers, so this pack really seems to fit my theme of simple, pared-down fishing (which is what it sounds like everyone is doing these days).

Chalkstream
04-16-2010, 03:45 PM
I've tried everything. The Orvis Otter Creek vest I had fell apart after 1 season and I found it bulky and warm, its Snowbee replacement was poorly designed, its Loop replacement was the same.

I've had William Joseph fanny packs (bum bags to us Brits - fanny has an altogether different meaning! :shock: ) and their equinox sling pack and chest pack combined. Neither had a useful place to keep a net, and the fanny pack kept slipping down. The equinox was just plain uncomfortable. I've had a fishpond chest and backpack combo and the Orvis sling pack. The fishpond was as warm as a vest and difficult to get at stuff in the backpack. Chest packs on their own just hurt my neck if I actually take all I need and you can't fit a rain jacket in there as well as water or a flask.

So I went to game bags, but there's nowhere to carry a net (not all our rivers can be waded so you usually need one). But where you can wade, I wear my waders, and the bag strap makes my wader shoulder strap buckle dig in to my shoulder.

So I'm going back to a vest. This time a Simms vertical guide. The design is nice and clean and not too bulky. It's coming from Simms to the retailer and should be here in a couple of weeks - can't wait. Hope the damn thing works!

Ben

lawrenceh_w
04-19-2010, 02:34 AM
I've tried waistcoats (vests) but I find them too bulky and warm and have too many pockets.

I've got a Simms waist pack but I find this more useful for lure fishing. I've also got one of the William Joseph Equinox sling packs. It's OK but I found it a bit bulky for my small stream fishing so I've delegated this one for my coarse fishing.

I now use a lanyard I've made myself ... It holds nippers, floatant, mud, forceps, tippet and a C&F fly box. Tapered leaders and a few bits and bobs go into a shirt pocket. Now all I need to do is catch a few fish :?

willowgrub
04-21-2010, 02:38 PM
I like chest packs . They enaable me to wear a backpack . Ive used fishpond , clear creek and a couple of home made modified bags from Bag Shops . One was superb but I never found another when it wore out . In NZ we travel a lot on river beds due to low fish numbers. A typical day for me is 8 to 15 kms walking .
The last 3 years Ive been using a Wright and McGill Metolious chest pack . Is roomy robust and comfortable . The best I have used so far in 18 years of wearing out or wrecking chest packs . Brought from Cabellas .

Brooktrout
06-08-2010, 02:08 PM
AT in korea in the mid-80's? trippy pic, mon.

adam
06-08-2010, 02:20 PM
I have traded in my rucksack for a much lighter pack now...

Korea was a big trip indeed, Japan even more so and Malaysia was off scale.

[attachment=0:1kbmx25b]Tsuttenkai.jpg[/attachment:1kbmx25b]

Lotech Joe
07-17-2012, 06:22 PM
In one of these.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/Lotech1/002-9.jpg

fredaevans
07-24-2012, 05:18 PM
If I can't stick 'the stuff' in a few pockets .. .I've got far more on me than I really need. Couple spools of tippet, a box of flies and a short 'thingie' clipped to my shirt (forceps/hook remover, leader cutter, hook file ... and the most important, if anything goes to Hell in a Hand basket: a Police Whistle.

adam
07-26-2012, 06:53 PM
If I can't stick 'the stuff' in a few pockets .. .I've got far more on me than I really need. Couple spools of tippet, a box of flies and a short 'thingie' clipped to my shirt (forceps/hook remover, leader cutter, hook file ... and the most important, if anything goes to Hell in a Hand basket: a Police Whistle.

The more you understand, you can get by with far less.

gusstrand
07-26-2012, 08:18 PM
...and Fred is quite often a two handed long rod guy, to boot. Minimalist steelheader.

Doctor
07-29-2012, 07:39 AM
...and Fred is quite often a two handed long rod guy, to boot. Minimalist steelheader.

Not to mention a serial forum poster and all round good egg.been chatting on a variety of boards for many moons .
Strange this post being resurected, I find that most of my trout/grayling fishing needs my 30 year old Orvis Tacklepak .for my odd forays into SWFF I use a orvis chestpack Adam sold me way back and for summer salmon fishing a non descript green bag which takes a wheatley a couple of spools,haemostat and nips ,again a Adam reject .

WoodRiverTroutBum
08-02-2012, 11:55 PM
I use a William Joseph waist pack, I believe it is the catalyst. Great pack overall but it does have one large pocket with a large foam fly holder in it that is useless to me. Inside of the pocket closes so the fron it touching the back so it will flatten any flies put in it. The other issue is it rides low since it loosens up a bit when I turn it to my hip to access the pack. I am going to switch things up for hike ins and small creeks and start using a smaller fly box and a lanyard. I will also use a daypack when needed.

ZeissMan
09-25-2012, 03:38 PM
I use a Filson waist pack for most of my quick trips. I have a Filson Strap vest for longer days on the water.

ofuros
09-26-2012, 03:42 AM
If I could only fit one of these in my cargo pants.....and slowly meander my way downstream at the
end of productive session. Admiral Smallstream at your service. :tongue:
Blatantly taken from somewhere on the internet highway.

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac276/ofuros/Bits/jack_and_geraldSmall.jpg