PDA

View Full Version : Brookie streamer

terry
10-28-2009, 07:04 PM
This is a pattern I came up with to mimic a young brook trout. Not sure if its already taken or not. The head came out bulkier than I wanted, one more thing to work on to improve my tying skills. Please critique.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q52/terry13111/brookiefly1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q52/terry13111/brookiefly2.jpg

mikeytwoshoes
10-28-2009, 08:28 PM
the head's not really a problem other than perhaps crowding the eye.

and were I tying the fly I'd use about half as much material in the wing throat and tail, but that's just me. I like things sparse especially on streamers. maybe add a touch of white to the beard.

nice fly.

honda 450
10-29-2009, 06:56 AM
Terry is that a long shank hook ??. that you tyed on, as the post sayed thin out the wing a little & hackle, less fibers, will stop the twisting & extra build up to one side, which can be a problem, with to much material, maybe try tying, the body off, a little shorter, to allow more room to taper the head back.
But in truth i like the colours of the fly to match, the brook trout & DON,T see any thing wrong, with your tying.

Terry if possible, a would love to see the most common flys, that you use for brook trout, I was going to ask this on the old site, I would like to see how your flys catch, on the mountain streams that i fish. As i for one drool over the brook trout.

Thank you in advance..

terry
10-29-2009, 08:40 AM
honda, I will work on that.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

BrkTrt
10-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Terry,
Nice colors on that first bucktail. A brookie fooler for sure.

I would tie it sparsely too and try using a Mustad 3665A in # 8 or 10.

Thanks for the pics

- Brk Trt

Jax
10-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Terry; I have no doubt that fly will catch trout, but as suggested in other posts just be meaner with the amount of materials and the trout will "Dine Out" on it. Have Fun. Jax

jmeyerc
11-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I agree Jax, the wing looks a little heavy but other than that :thumbup: Terry!

Jeanne