PDA

View Full Version : Is there one you search for?

greendrake
10-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Is there a reel that you would just love to have but have never been able to find? For me,it's a left hand wind,3" Hardy St George pre WWll. with the red agate line guard and leaded finish.LHW Hardys are rare in the St George and the Perfect models.I've been looking for one of the St Georges for 25 years now with no luck.Now that I'm retired, I won't be able to afford one even if I do find it.Oh well,the sun will still rise in the east tomorrow.

gusstrand
10-22-2009, 11:36 AM
I had always wanted a Perfect. Scored one of the Winston ones a few years ago, and it was nice, but I felt like I was having to baby it, so off it went. Same thing for an Ari Hart. Wanted, got, nice but... sold. What I realized is that for me reels were sort of "rod jewelry." I wanted a real pretty one, but just a simple gold band does the job, so to speak.

Thus, I have gone full circle on reels (pun intended) and now just have a couple Loop Traditionals and my good old Battenkills.

adam
10-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Some of the new Waterworks reels are pretty cool, the new Loops are nice.

The reels that stick around with me are Hardy lightweights and Medalists...

greendrake
10-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Adam you would absolutely love the medalist I bought tonight!!!!!! There is one for sale at Clarks right now for $265.One sold at Clarks just last week for $275.Today at that auction I mentioned over at Grassart,I bought a 1930's in the original box with 95% of the original finish 1494 with the round line guard and the amber handle.It has the sculpted pillars and there was a spare spool included.[b]I got it for $40![b] I was going to put it on Clarks for $300 but I've pretty much convinced myself to keep it even though it's RHW because they loooook sooooooo good on bamboo.
Will

PS I went nuts at the auction because they took credit cards but when I sell the 3 Grangers I bought even after I pay off what I put on the CC I'll make a profit that will be equal to at least 1/2 months disability check from SS :D

Edit: Hey look at that the bold icon didn't work :?

Gerard
10-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I’ve always wanted a Saracione and found something even more special, a limited edition Bellinger-Saracione. They are so well machined and smooth.
http://www.grassart.net/Gerard/Garrison_reels.JPG

I did search for a Ari Hart Remco for a while. I ended up finding one in Germany last year. It really is a work of art.
http://www.grassart.net/Gerard/Remco3.JPG

I’m sorta on and off on the lookout for a midnight blue Seamaster. Not that I would fish it but I always wanted to see what they are like. Maybe someday...
http://www.seamaster.com/images/mdesg03.gif

Cross Creek
10-25-2009, 09:56 AM
I used to want reels proportioned for each line size but, having only one reel, a '77 CFO III, I "made do" for about 20 years until my financial circumstances improved to exceed my obligations. Through the late 80's and 90's, I went through phases as the plethora of new reels hit the market: shiny black finishes, super lightweight, and disk-drags--there were many. I found that I really don't much like jewelry-like finishes after they get scuffed up, and soon lost my taste for shiny reels altogether. The lightest reels out there just don't strike me as very durable--wrongheaded of me, I'm sure, but I can't bring myself to fish one in the mountains. Disk drags are nice, but too complex for the trout and bass I go after. I did go through a few years fishing only Featherweights, and they are truly fine reels that I'd recommend to anyone.

Once again, though, I find myself fishing only vintage CFO III's--not exactly sure how many frames and spools I have, as spools especially seem to multiply on their own. They're quickly interchangeable, wear life's little injuries with grace, and the dull finish isn't going to send out any reflections. It's particularly convenient, when I'm testing different lines on a rod or a new line on different rods, to be able to quickly remove a spool from the cageless frame and switch it out without having to dig around for the tippet end to re-string the rod. All that said, I wouldn't mind a sweet little St. George if I were to come into some mad money, and I'll pick up a Martin MG3 someday if a really nice one comes my way for a good price.
-CC

gusstrand
10-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Had a CFO once... Borrowed from Tom Rosenbauer... Had to give it back, but Loved it. Sweet reels for sure.

terry
10-26-2009, 10:53 AM
I love my Orvis Batenkill Bar stock II. Great reel for a decent price. For small streams, I don't see me wanting anything else.

Mostyn
10-30-2009, 06:10 PM
I must say for reliability and longevity also ease of use; I like the Orvis BBS range I have 4, in three different sizes, all British made! I love em.

greendrake
10-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Had a CFO once... Borrowed from Tom Rosenbauer... Had to give it back, but Loved it. Sweet reels for sure.

Gus,
I just put a CFO ll with a peach line on it and 2 spare spools that both have a peach line on them up for sale on
http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/forums/97 if you are interested.
Will

PS I should've mentioned that it's one of the early Hardy made CFO's

gusstrand
10-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Saw that! It's sweet for sure. I'm not looking at the moment but it's way cool.

palewatery
11-03-2009, 03:23 PM
I did search for a Ari Hart Remco for a while. I ended up finding one in Germany last year. It really is a work of art.
http://www.grassart.net/Gerard/Remco3.JPG

That is just beautiful..... That's the reel that's on my wish list.
I fish a Traun on my cane but it's a Remco I'd really like.

Sean
11-03-2009, 04:07 PM
i regret selling mt old hardy featherweight and my old original orvis battenkill click reel. but I made money on both of them when I sold them. I also want to get a couple of Ross Colorados (I think that's the name. The old click reels they had.)

Doctor
11-04-2009, 04:09 AM
For most of my small streaming I am well fixed with two wee marquis ,had them 20 or more years ,just good solid work horses,as a back up there is a 3" youngs unventilated which looks good on my Cheapo 6.6 cane.
Please dont start me on salmonreels,therin lies madness and great cost even at the bottom end of the market :? :?

mikeytwoshoes
11-04-2009, 04:26 PM
I've got to admit I've long coveted a bougle myself. perfect too. though I've reached the tackle saturation point and doubt I'll be buying any new tackle in the foreseeable future. I'm pretty well set. well hell I just realized I want a green galvan reel too. they look mighty fine on a bamboo rod.

matsoberg
11-12-2009, 04:20 PM
I guess I have all the stuff I need, but I´ve always wanted an old 3 1/8'' Perfect. You know, one with that beautiful worn look that is so sophiticated-lly named "patina"... That distinct "RRRrrrrrRR" that makes every decent fisherman turn their head when hearing it and with the ivory handle...

Yep!

JB in SC
11-12-2009, 10:58 PM
I like the Hardy Flyweight as a tiny small stream reel. My first one was some thirty years ago mounted on a Winston 6' 2 weight glass rod.

Oddly (or not) I have one of the new Hardy 6' 2 weights with a Flyweight mounted.

Things don't really change at all....

ZeissMan
11-15-2009, 09:07 PM
I have a bunch of old CFOs with an accompanying bunch of extra spools.
They just sound great. Recently picked up an English Hardy Flyweight and use it on my 1wt.
Not too much else to search for, except maybe more old CFOs.
~ZM

pcg
11-16-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm always seeking unusual old Dingleys. As some of you may know, I'm almost through writing the first book on his reels. I used to have huge numbers of them, but have been slowly paring them down. Some of the small Uniqua-style are sweet, often coming w/ a lovely click.

Will, the red agates for some reason leave me cold. I've owned a couple red agate Perfects, but ultimately I viewed them as curiosities, & let them go...

Other reels? Spey Company makes some magnificent Spey reels, and is about to come out w/ a small trout line. If you're not familiar with these, well worth a look. http://thespeycompany.blogspot.com/

And oddly, I remain enamored of many of the Tibor reels. They're magnificent tools. And in time they'll become avidly collected.

pmcroberts
01-29-2010, 12:04 AM
One of my favorite reels is the discontinued Ross Vision reels. I have a couple "Ones" but would like to add a couple "Twos" I thought I paid a lot for mine but I see them listed now for 4-5 hundred!!! Spare spools are about $250!! Thats a whole reel maybe two!!

I do kick myself in the ass for not picking up the Winston Perfects a few years back. The local sport shop had about a dozen of them with spare spools. They got some sort of close out deal and were selling them for $300 (Reel and spare spool) My wife went down to get one as a present for me, and the guy in the shop said,"No you don't want those noisy clunky things!! Your husband will hate it!!!" The bastard made her feel ashamed for wanting to buy me one so she left without it!!! Geeeez!! At least her heart was in the right place!!

Paul McRoberts

flyfishwithme
01-29-2010, 03:43 AM
Is there a reel that you would just love to have but have never been able to find? For me,it's a left hand wind,3" Hardy St George pre WWll. with the red agate line guard and leaded finish.LHW Hardys are rare in the St George and the Perfect models.I've been looking for one of the St Georges for 25 years now with no luck.Now that I'm retired, I won't be able to afford one even if I do find it.Oh well,the sun will still rise in the east tomorrow.

Now you could be in luck. Hardy are bringing this reel back in lighter material in both LH & RH formats.
Keep checking on their site. I think a launch is eminent.

greendrake
01-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Not quite the same appeal though for me. The new reels with their anodized finish just can't compare to the soft worn patina of the old leaded reels.And the old reels with their red or brown agate line guards( as opposed to the smoke gray they use now) just look sooooooo right on a bamboo rod.Being an old fart I imagine it probably has as much to do with nostalgia as well.
Will

Gerard
01-30-2010, 03:19 AM
Not quite the same appeal though for me. The new reels with their anodized finish just can't compare to the soft worn patina of the old leaded reels.

Yep, that’s true Will. There’s something about those old Hardy’s that the new ones just cannot bring...and I think you have nailed it with the patina remark. Although not as appealing to collectors I like them “weathered” (not abused but used)...the more the better... :thumbup:

speyrod
02-10-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm still looking for a sharpes of Aberdeen "Trout" model reel , should have bought one in 2000 when they still made the reel. I bought the "Don" model and I just love it for steehead fishing, wish I had bought the 3 3/8 trout model back then as well