PDA

View Full Version : Your best stick?

gusstrand
10-22-2009, 08:07 AM
We all have favorites... what's yours?

My small water favorite is a three piece 8' 4wt I built in a hotel in Escondido on a work trip. Close second is my Para 15 Mike Shay made me. It's soon to be my only bamboo rod, assuming I can sell my other one.

I have found that for my needs, I prefer the middle 4/5 weights. I've had two and three weights, they just aren't as versatile for me.

greendrake
10-22-2009, 09:35 AM
My opinion(and you know what they say about opinions) is that, for general overall fishing,the middle of the road 4,5,6 wts are the best.I've always felt that if I was limited to 1 rod,it would be a 5wt.My favorite smallstream glass rod is a 6'6" 4wt from the mid 70s' built by Russ Peak.My favorite bamboo for the same application is the 1st bamboo rod that I made,a 7 1/2' Dickerson 7613 taper.

adam
10-22-2009, 02:06 PM
My favorite stick is any bamboo rod that I am making.

That is the truth.

Next to that, I have a few secrets.

I like Dickerson tapers in small stream rods, those feel good.

F.E. Thomas tapers in 3-weight.

I really like Tenkara rods for small streams.

A Thomas & Thomas HS 10-weight four piece is a great stick for the salt.

There are others, the secrets are just that.

mems
10-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Aloha, for me I hope Adam's bamboo will be my new favorite for smallstreams. Right now I love the TFO finesse 3 and 4 wt rods. Great for dry flies and light tippett. For the salt I have a bunch that are awesome. For bones the TFO 10th anniversary TiCr X 8wt rod is wonderful, I landed a 10lb bone with it two weeks ago on Oahu. For bluewater the TFO series is great at battling big pelagics. The mini mag is a great 10wt boat rod that I love for mahi and small tuna. I am partial to the TFO because I am a sales rep for them. Every tiem I go out I try and use a new rod, but lapse into throwing with my favorite sticks. It is fun to try out new models and tapers. Laterz, Mems.

adam
10-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Man that avatar peecture Gus has cracks me up.

It totally goes with what I think of what he is doing.

Funny, there is a new law that affects the internet and "endorsements" at web sites.

You must now declare if you receive an item, free, when you talk about it. Even at a personal web site.

It is a law.

Think about it.

Mems reminded me of it when he said he was a sales rep for TFO. I'm not a sales rep and I've bought a couple of TFO rods for fishing the salt and they rock line, spit like spiderman, out there. Light in the hand, nice looking, and that is also the truth. Good for you Don, was glad to see that you piped in.

I want to see a peekta of one dem pelagics all bendo down bra, like fecked up down and you leanin back spankin dat ass.

Howzat eh?

Gerard
10-23-2009, 02:11 PM
I have a number of two and three weight rods which I all like. They are perfect for the type of tiny water trout fishing we do around Cape Town. There’s a T&T Vector 8’6” 3wt that I have a soft spot for – when I have a “let’s get it on” type of day that’s the rod I go with. When I feel like relaxing and don’t have to rush, I use a boo. The Garrison taper rods Bertus and I purchased from Art are really sweet. We fish them whenever we share a stream together – it has become a sort of ritual for us.
I never really know what rod I will be fishing with on any specific day. It just comes to me and that’s what I end up with. I prefer it that way.
G

adam
10-23-2009, 02:29 PM
ohhhh, I like that.

It's not what I do but I like it.

I'm going to work on being more like that.

gusstrand
10-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Funny, there is a new law that affects the internet and "endorsements" at web sites.

You must now declare if you receive an item, free, when you talk about it. Even at a personal web site.

It is a law.

Think about it.

Yeah, here is some text from the page at the FTC:

The revised Guides also add new examples to illustrate the long standing principle that “material connections” (sometimes payments or free products) between advertisers and endorsers – connections that consumers would not expect – must be disclosed. These examples address what constitutes an endorsement when the message is conveyed by bloggers or other “word-of-mouth” marketers. The revised Guides specify that while decisions will be reached on a case-by-case basis, the post of a blogger who receives cash or in-kind payment to review a product is considered an endorsement. Thus, bloggers who make an endorsement must disclose the material connections they share with the seller of the product or service. Likewise, if a company refers in an advertisement to the findings of a research organization that conducted research sponsored by the company, the advertisement must disclose the connection between the advertiser and the research organization. And a paid endorsement – like any other advertisement – is deceptive if it makes false or misleading claims.

Cross Creek
10-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Tough choice, as I've only kept rods I felt were really special--most of them glass, by makers like D. Franke, McFarland, and Norie. Overall, I'd have to say my Bjarne Fries Katana 735/2 (pre-FIBH, staggered), an amazing semi-para taper, and my Superfine Trout 766/2--a vintage 1.8 oz graphite rod with cork and ring seat with the capacity to cast 3-6wt lines with grace. I'm working on my tapers to make my own rods stand out, but I'm pleased when I get six matching strips with no tear outs at this point.
-CC

terry
10-26-2009, 10:46 AM
I differ from most small stream guys in that I like a heavier weight rod. I have gravitated to a 5 weight after trying a few different 3 weights. My current favorite is an Orvis silver label 7' 5 weight. Great rod and very versatile. Handles anything i need it to.

Ernest
10-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Small stream favorites:

3wt – 6’9” 2 piece/1 tip cane rod, slow and smooth but strangely powerful once you know the cadence. Will drop a small fly with delicacy, or throw a small streamer after tinkering with the leader. A gift from my friend Denny Hook, who made the rod.

4wt – 6’3” 2 piece/2 tip Paul Young Midge. A crisp cast with light leaders and small flies, and the power to bring in a bruiser. I wore out one reel with this one, but the rod is still in excellent shape. This rod was made in the early 1960’s. I bought it, until then unused, in 1981, for $95.

5wt – 6’9” 2 piece/1 tip homemade rod carved from hardwood store dowels. Medium fast, good in the wind and good with small to large trout flies. Grip and reel seat were carved from a piece of pine, and reel bands are ¾” copper tubing. Material costs estimated at $12.

SnooKen
10-27-2009, 11:50 AM
My favorite rod has yet to be made but I think I know what it is going to be. I met a cane rod maker in Oregon this summer. Two of his rods, each owned by a different person, really rang my bell. One of them for its casting qualities and the other for its cosmetics. As always, though, there is a catch. If I had that dream rod and my house caught on fire would I first rescue the rod or my wife?

Ken

greendrake
10-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Ken,

There is lotsa' women out there.On the other hand,good bamboo rods that really speak to you are far and few between.
I'm just sayin' :roll:
Will

LeoCreek
10-28-2009, 10:57 PM
My favorite small stream stick is a Steffen glass 8' 3/4wt 3pc (I fish it as a 4wt) I built on a blank. I also really like a Steffen 8' 4/5wt 4pc (fish it as a 5wt on smaller waters), and a McFarland Spruce Creek 7'6" 4wt 3pc (also built on blanks). Pure butter!

For graphite, I've hung onto a Scott G 8' 4wt 3pc, a Fisher Original 8' 4wt 4pc, and an older Orvis Clearwater 7'9" 5wt 2pc (Far and Fine blank), all 3 very special rods.

Alpinefly
10-29-2009, 06:03 PM
The 9 foot 5/6 weight Graphite ole cowboy rod of mine !!!!!! Gets the job done !!!!!!!! :twisted:
Can also be used as my son would say, as a drive by colonoscopy for those that are overly anal !!!!!!!!!!!!!
There, I greatly improved my casting form even though I have to use my left hand !!!!!!!! LMAOROFL :evil:

mikeytwoshoes
10-29-2009, 06:12 PM
My best stick will be the 7 ' 4 weight that Mike Shay has made me, if he ever gets the rod wrapped and dipped !!!!! lol

I don't think that that's good form on a public forum, john.

tkd7
10-30-2009, 03:07 AM
I can't say I have a lot of experience with different rods especially for stream fishing, but this year I purchased the Hardy Glass "The Aln" which is a 5ft 2wt rod for fishing the small river I'm a member of and to next season go searching more streams. I've fallen in love with it and think it's fantastic. I can even cast a fair distance when needed, well a fair distance for me anyway ;) I'm even thinking of taking it for a spin on the rods namesake, the river Aln in Northumberland, England, I sort of feel I need to / have to :D

I did inherit a bamboo rod earlier this year but I have absolutely no information on it, what size line it would take etc. so sort of scared I'll overload it. I don't know how much abuse a bamboo rod could take in that respect. I did try and contact the makers of the rod but they were next to useless. :roll: I think the rod is from a few decades ago and so the company didn't really seem to know, which I thought was a bit pap!

Mostyn
10-30-2009, 06:00 PM
This is a tough one for me! Because I'm waiting to take delivery of a new custom built BAMBOO! From : Tim Harris of HarrisFlyRods; It's a 6ft.3in, #3,weight, 2, piece, cane rod! Should have it before Christmas and I'm hoping it will be my favourite; But, at the moment, my favourite stream rod is a Greys GRXi 7ft,#2/3,weight, that I use with a Orvis BBSII and an SA Mastery #3,DT line! Although, it can be a bit long for some of the streams I fish.

greendrake
10-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Bamboo will take just as much or more abuse than graphite.Of course, neither one stands up very well to having a car door slammed shut on them.If you have access to a micrometer mic the tip of the rod and find out what size ferrule if it's a 2 piece and we might be able to give you a good idea of what size line to try first.
I've seen pics of Tim Harris' bamboo rods as he posts at the Classic Fly Rod Forum.He builds beautiful rods.You'll enjoy it.

mikeytwoshoes
10-30-2009, 10:28 PM
I have been thinking about this. it os hard to say what yer favorite or best stick is.

before I started fishing bamboo I had a couple of favorites. or more.
far and away I caught my best and biggest fish on my winston lt. 8'9" 5wt.
I built a gatti 8'0" 3wt that was sweet beyond compare and I tried to break that sob on some slobs on the san juan. it never let me down.
I bought my wife a st croix legend ultra 9' 5wt for her birthday one year and fell in love w/ that rod. I'd choose it instead of the winston or sage. she loves it to this day and doesn't even want me to build her a bamboo rod (she wants me to build one for one of you).

bar none though over the past few years I've been fishing a f.e. thomas 7' 3wt that is the sweetest damn casting and fishing rod I've ever held. it's my first choice on nearly any river. ironically it's the second bamboo do I've ever built and I doubt I'll bump it from first string. it's that sweet. I'd post some bent rod shots of the rod in action but most of y'all have seen them already.

finished it two years ago. like october 27. since then I've built 20. that's a lot.

mikeytwoshoes
10-30-2009, 10:28 PM
only 8 posts!

I had thousands. I'm telling ya.

Gerard
10-31-2009, 05:01 AM
Small stream favorites:

4wt – 6’3” 2 piece/2 tip Paul Young Midge. A crisp cast with light leaders and small flies, and the power to bring in a bruiser. I wore out one reel with this one, but the rod is still in excellent shape. This rod was made in the early 1960’s. I bought it, until then unused, in 1981, for $95.

Oh yes!! Do tell us more.

I have the PHY 6ft 2wt "prototype". There were two made, a 2wt and a 3wt. What a glorious rod. Hands down the sweetest casting rod I've ever casted.

[attachment=1:3k6o5zfm]PY_3.jpg[/attachment:3k6o5zfm]

[attachment=0:3k6o5zfm]PY_4.jpg[/attachment:3k6o5zfm]

terry
10-31-2009, 08:39 AM
All this bamboo rod talk is making me jelous. I will own one someday, I swear. :| :)

Chef
10-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Old school GL3 Loomis 8' 3wt. The most diverse stick that I have and has served me well from lunker shore cruising trout in lakes to tiny trickles of water with a bow & arrow technique. They're delicate yet can hold up in the wind and lay down a silver tongue like no other. T&T rods and others have served me well in the past as well but this black matt finished stick has done me proud.

stevekiley
10-31-2009, 02:46 PM
i keep going to my 7'9" 4/5 wt. star hollow.
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj153/stevekiley/IMGP0708-1.jpg

greendrake
10-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Gerard,
That is one great looking PHY rod!!!!!!! Do you fish it? The grip is so clean it looks like it's never been used.Just the same it's quite a coup having a prototype from a classic maker like Paul Young.

Steve,
That is a sweet looking rod,but then I have come to expect nothing but the best from you.Is that the same new taper for the 7'9" length that you mentioned working on a couple of months ago?
Thanks for sharing guys,
Will

stevekiley
10-31-2009, 05:15 PM
same one Will,i finaly let the public try that taper at the metoulious show here in Oregon and every one that tryed it liked it as much as me,thanks steve

Gerard
11-01-2009, 04:03 AM
Gerard,
That is one great looking PHY rod!!!!!!! Do you fish it? The grip is so clean it looks like it's never been used.Just the same it's quite a coup having a prototype from a classic maker like Paul Young.

I sure do Will, although I reserve it for special streams and occasions. :mrgreen:

http://www.grassart.net/Gerard/Bamboo/Brown-4.jpg

Mostyn
11-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi All,

Wow! Some beautiful looking Cane Rods !! I cant wait to get my grubby hands on my new cane rod from Tim Harris! Just a thought! Do you Guy's use Silk Lines with your cane rods?

greendrake
11-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Mostyn,
I don't use silk because at this stage of my life I'm looking for simple,as maintenance free as possible tools whether it be for hunting or fishing.Silk lines demand too much care and maintenance for me.In addition to that I'm not keen on spending $160 or more for a fly line.
Will

trout-nut
11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone new to this site. I've been fishing for many years right now my favorite dry fly rod is my 8' 4wt. TMF Winston and the next would be 8'5 5wt. LL Sage. I'm starting to get interested in bamboo. I'm looking at some Garrison tapers. I'm going to build an 8' 5wt. and then a 7' 4wt. can't wait to get started. :D

Sean
11-02-2009, 05:37 PM
i'm a sage guy

love my 8'6" ZXL 4 weight

garethl
11-03-2009, 06:00 AM
I've had my first bamboo rod for only a couple of months and it's already my firm favourite. Didn't know what I was missing until I finally bought one.

The below is based on the Wayne Cattanach 6332 taper, and for the small streams here in South Wales is totally at home.

http://www.flyfishinginsouthwales.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/090919_rod.jpg

http://www.flyfishinginsouthwales.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/090919_rod_stripping_guide.jpg

http://www.flyfishinginsouthwales.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ring.jpg

http://www.flyfishinginsouthwales.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/tips.jpg

http://www.flyfishinginsouthwales.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/rod.jpg

Christened with it's first fish...
http://www.flyfishinginsouthwales.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/090919_fish1.jpg

Windknot
11-09-2009, 09:23 PM
There are some really nice "favorites" here. I have several small stream rods including some one piece short cane rods, but the one that always seems to make it into my hand is a POS cabelas three forks 7'6" 3 wt :oops: no joke. Over lined it makes accurate short cast and still has enough backbone to throw 40 + ft. which frequently happens when the trout are spooky. And If you snap it while rock hopping you can get a new one for under $50 bucks.

Gerard
11-10-2009, 06:19 AM
I'm starting to get interested in bamboo. I'm looking at some Garrison tapers. I'm going to build an 8' 5wt. and then a 7' 4wt. can't wait to get started. :D

I can recommend the Garrison 202E – lovely dry fly and nymphing 7ft, 4wt stick. :bigthumb:

http://www.grassart.net/Gerard/Bamboo/Elands_fight.JPG

adam
11-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Ha, I love it, two bamboo rod images with large arbors...

Good choice G.

I like Dickerson tapers as well.

trout-nut
11-10-2009, 03:57 PM
I decided to go with the 8' 5 wt. first for a little bigger water and the wind. After I build that one I am going to do the 7' 4wt. Both of them are the garrison tapers

Gerard
11-11-2009, 02:17 AM
Ha, I love it, two bamboo rod images with large arbors...

Good choice G.

I like Dickerson tapers as well.

The D'rrrson is on my to do list. ;)

fisheye
11-19-2009, 10:21 AM
FE Thomas Special 8' 5wt. Believe it even beats out a Granger 8040 in casting ease. Its seen big fish and little fish and likes 'em all, a little beat up now, but still a sweetheart of a rod.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd297/mingus43/FE%20Thomas/IMGP0030.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd297/mingus43/FE%20Thomas/FET8footer009.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd297/mingus43/Rio%20Grande%202009/IMGP0390.jpg

mikeytwoshoes
11-19-2009, 11:24 AM
glad to see you here, brian.
I believe I tossed a few w/ that rod? my memory is foggy at best.

I think we can agree that thomas tapers are magical.
I've a 6'8" 3wt and 9' 7wt thomas tapers in the works.

fisheye
11-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Yessir.

Got any pictures of "The Church" you can post??? My foggy memory needs some refreshing!

mikeytwoshoes
11-19-2009, 11:42 AM
absolutely.

the first church of the dry fly
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KSJjfQmoYxE/SObfgG8hxYI/AAAAAAAAACQ/T_RvFfo7HtA/s320/church+of+the+dry.jpg

I've got more than a few bent rod shots from here as well though most ss readers have seen them before.

matsoberg
11-25-2009, 05:13 PM
I´m a 5 wt man so... Short 5 wt will be my Stefan Broms made 7½ footer while I mostly fish my own 8½ footer. Both semi-hollw.
3 wt would be my little FE Thomas 6' 8'' taper and for a 7 wt, no doubt my A.J made 8½ footer. Freaking cannon.

Mats

Lighthouse
12-21-2009, 03:51 AM
For me it's my Winston LT - 6' 9", 3wt - I just love it to bits.

However, a number of my 'chums' have splashed the cash and invested in some rather beautiful cane .... I feel an urge coming on.

greendrake
12-21-2009, 05:33 AM
For me it's my Winston LT - 6' 9", 3wt - I just love it to bits.

However, a number of my 'chums' have splashed the cash and invested in some rather beautiful cane .... I feel an urge coming on.

Beware of the Dark Side of the force Luke.It is strong :lol:

rayfound
12-21-2009, 11:39 AM
My best stick, one I've been longing for for a long time, and was finally able to acquire for a paltry sum, is the Sage TXL Double Ought. The light, soft landing line, delicate presentations, and length make it the perfect rod for the way I fish, in the places I love.

at 7'10" its longer than most creek rods, but I am of the school that line control is everything, and the best length in a small stream is the longest you can get away with. 7'10" is about that length for me.

Anyway, that's my best stick. (though stick is giving it a bit much credit... lets call it twig)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o162/Rayfound/70ff5f99.jpg

adam
12-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Cool.

My next graphite rod will be the 000-ought blank, I've always wanted one.

...or a premium Tenkara rod Satoshi will help me obtain from Japan.

palewatery
12-21-2009, 08:06 PM
My friend has the 00 weight and my nephew has the 0 and 000, I've had a play with them all and they're very nice.
Because there's not a full normal line weight between each rod I expected them all to be much of a muchness but while I found minimal difference between the 00 and 000 I found swapping to the 0 was very noticable. The 0 has noticably more backbone and casts like a heavier line rod, faster as well, I thought (in casting action) the other two were very like the SPL 1wt I used to own. I've never tried the 1 or 2 weights but I'd love to.

Huge fun to fish with all of them.

Well worth the wait Ray :bigthumb: I'm a little envious :mrgreen:

My favourite is my Schliske 3wt well 3-4wt but for my fishing style and waters I like it best with a WF3.

springwell
12-31-2009, 06:07 AM
A couple of my latest additions are my current favourites for the streams.

8'-0" 4-5wt Chapman rare split cane rod from the late sixties, a "Di Maggio"

6'-6" 4-5 wt fibre glass rod built on a Hardy Jet blank.

Bill :)

ZeissMan
01-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I have a Cabela's Clear Creek 1 wt with a Hardy Flyweight that is pretty nice.
But I think my fav is a St Croix 2 wt with a very old CFO 1.
Soft and sweet.
~ ZM

flytyer187
01-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Well, I was a sage guy for along time. I also prefer bigger rivers over ss's I got a HARDY Marksman #5 9' 4 piece
WOW WOW WOW
never buy a sage again
http://i46.tinypic.com/iq8okg.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/k00h78.jpg
Not only does this thing cost less than sage , but way sex reel seat, best action I've ever known, the blank is so cool
My 2 pennies

Ade N
01-29-2010, 11:40 AM
For me it's gotta be my little Sage TXL 6'3" 3 wt, it's about as thick as a match and weighs nothing!
Or is it my Orvis Superfine 6' 2 wt?
Can't decide :D

Ade.

wrknapp
01-29-2010, 02:51 PM
My current favorite is my 13' TenkaraUSA Ayu but I have a feeling that will change in time as new Tenkara rods come to market either from TenkaraUSA or other sources. Right now I'm content with what I have. We'll see. Adam has me psyched about the new Premium Tenkara rod he is planning on getting from Japan.

Randy

wrm0325
01-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Hey guys,
My first post. Looking forward to spending a lot of time here.

My fave rod for the SS used to be my Winston IM6, 2 pc for 3wt. Incredibly smooth and a joy to cast.

However, that was until I was in Manchester, VT approx 8 yrs ago and cast a couple of cane rods by Jim Becker. Both were two pc, one 4 wt and one 2 wt.

What can I say. I finally started fishing them last year, and I cannot fish graphite again. And not just because the cane rods are so smooth and effortless. To me, they're more accurate and far better at dampening the forward cast and laying little s curves on the surface, which is a necessity for the type of fishing I do. They may be small streams, but they're hooked up to resovoirs that hold large very wary trout that move into these streams. In addition, the cane does a far better job with the 8x I have to use, and pulls out the 26-32 hooks less. Just far more give in the tip.

The 2 wt is my favorite, and I will fish that until the wind makes me cry mercy, and then I'll pull out the 4 wt.

Just my two cents

Bill

wcb
01-29-2010, 03:10 PM
My favourite rod last year was a Scott G2 7ft 7" 2#
I found that i could use it most of the time even when it was quite windy.
I have discovered cane over the winter and have a Bannister 7ft 4# made for me which has blown me away.
Tim Harris is finishing a build for me as we speak and its a 6ft 3#.
Looking forward to playing with them over the summer.
T

Ade N
01-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Looking forward to playing with the "cane" on the Monnow social this year Toby?
The Honddu would be a nice place to Christen it?

Ade.

Kollman
01-29-2010, 05:33 PM
WCB, I am with you. I have been a Scott fan for a long time and have a nice collection of S3 rods, but finally got ahold of a G2 4wt that has filled the void I was missing with my S3. Love the cast of that slower action and great for dry fly presentation on slower streams or when I am fighting big fish.

FlyKS
01-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Fiberglass is where it's at! I fish a Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt Honey, built by Mike Briganti of Prairie Drifter Rods. It is a sweetheart in that it bends to the cork while casting, throws everything from a WF3F to a WF5F, including DT3 and DT4 with aplomb. I like it with my SA XPS WF4F and Pflueger 1494 (Chinese currently, picking up a DA this Monday)

The rod has more power than its uber slow action would imply and it will easily toss #8 BH buggers and #22 dry flies.

grayling
01-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Sage LL 356-2 Hardy Flywt SA 4WF xps.

Finally broke my grass Tenkara rod from 1985 and just replaced it with an Iwana 5:5. Haven't fished it yet ... great in the living room ... Will try her out as soon as the streams thaw ... feels like it may become my best stick.

timaaron
02-04-2010, 03:01 AM
While its relatively new to my arsenal - Steve Kiley's 7' 4wt is a really sweet casting rod and probably my current favorite (aside from the rod on my bench :D )

jared
02-04-2010, 11:58 AM
A toss-up between a 7' 3-piece 4wt and a 7' 3-piece 3wt -- they are both
very sweet sticks....

Sean
02-04-2010, 02:24 PM
forgot about my payne 100. the blank was made by chris carlan of far north rod smiths and i made a sad attempt at building the rest of it. in fact i'm working on a new half wells grip for it instead of the cigar grip it had.

Brooktrout
02-04-2010, 02:25 PM
winston vapor 8' 4wt. made in MT. inexpensive, but a GREAT all around rod; is a little weak on big streamers and nymphs with lots of weight though. best for dry flies, terrestrials, and nymphs with light weight.

mikeytwoshoes
02-04-2010, 03:14 PM
you sure the vapor is made in montana, brooks?

gusstrand
02-04-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm not prone to favor one way or another, but Google shoots you to text from the Fly Fish America 2006 Gear Guide...

Winston’s new Vapor is one of the Asian-made rod series you can read about in Casting East (page 48)
but to look at them, cast them, and fish them, you’d never know they weren’t built at the Winston factory
in downtown Twin Bridges, Montana.

Designed by Winston’s engineers, Vapor Series rods are built in China to Winston’s specifications. Featuring computer-
profiled, compound modulas (a combination of intermediate- and high-modulas graphites) mid and butt sections, coupled
with Winston’s trademark “lively” tip, these 4-piece, fast-action rods are intended for intermediate- to advanced-level
casters looking for a high-performance rod for less than $300

mikeytwoshoes
02-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't favor one or another either. unless we're talking handcrafted split cane rods, then I have a preference. I did however know that the vapor was manufactured overseas and don't care. I am sure it's a fine stick or it wouldn't carry the winston name.

Brooktrout
02-04-2010, 04:47 PM
good points guys, thx for the info. i did not realize they were made in china.
i visited the factory/museum in twin bridges in summer, 2008. it was pretty cool.
it would be cool to have one of their cane's some day.

fisheye
02-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Just an FYI, their cane rods that they are famous for (Glen Brackett made) are no longer made by Glenn and the Boo Boys. To get one of those, you can look into Glenn's new rod company, Sweetgrass.

http://www.sweetgrassrods.com

Brooktrout
02-04-2010, 05:04 PM
interesting. when we were going down main street in twin bridges i remember seeing the sign for his shop.
how are his rods?

fisheye
02-04-2010, 05:05 PM
$2,500.

I guess people like them ok.

Brooktrout
02-04-2010, 05:13 PM
interesting. thx.

mikeytwoshoes
02-04-2010, 05:15 PM
$2,500.

I guess people like them ok.

I think I can live w/out one.
the winston 3wt I built is a bit noodley though a nice caster.

glenn is a standup guy though I'll give him that.

mickfly
03-13-2010, 08:47 PM
After years of fishing various bamboos by various makers, I got my first Winston bamboo this past week. It's a 7.5 ft two piece 5 wt, built by Glenn Brackett and Jeff Walker in the mid 1990s and sold by Winston to Rusty Gates of Gates Ausable Lodge in Michigan. I bought it from a Colorado fly fisher. It's in excellent condition and seems to cast as smooth as it looks. We've been plagued by high winds here in Dallas this week, so I haven't been able to give it a good test. Maybe when I get back from fishing the Guadalupe late next week.

soupmix
03-16-2010, 08:36 AM
For me - a Scott A2 eight foot three weight - great all around rod. You can go from high-sticking in the Smookies to finesse fishing small streams in Michigan. It also has plenty of power to throw a bunch of line when fishing bigger streams such as the AuSable or Manistee.

ofuros
06-06-2010, 02:32 AM
Own a varied motley crew, with the emphasis on compactness,
so they can fit IN (when negotiating through thick scrub/bush)
or on the OUTSIDE of my backpack when bushwalking
to remote headwaters or lakes (scrub free).
Not all the tracks I follow are welltrodden paths, some are pathless....you make your own.

Winston 7'9'' 2wt 5piece
Hardy 6' 2wt 3piece

Redington 7'6'' 4wt 6piece
March Brown 7' 4wt 7piece

Orvis 9' 6wt 7piece
Sage 9' 6wt 4piece

The pick of the bunch seems to be the March Brown,
just seems to suit my own unexplainable rhythm...
the more I fish with it, the more I grow to love it...

Cheers,
Ofuros.

jmcg
06-06-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm not a very sophisticated rod sage only because I bought a few rods early in my fly fishing career and have settled on basically two for my use.
My first rod was a 5 wt Fly Logic that I bought while in Montana learning from the guide, who a friends son worked for in summers.
The guide sold those rods in his small shop and opined that for the money, it was a good one.
It was a two piece and when getting back home to NH after that first trip, I realized that I needed something that I could reasonably back pack with.

I ended with a 6 wt. Sage XP 4 piece rod and a 5 piece Redington Wayfarer as a 4 wt.

The XP is amazing for what it is intended for, but I loved that Wayfarer for most of my fishing.
It has since been replaced by a new 6 piece version that has a bit softer action.
I love it.

I have recently cast a couple of bamboo rods and what with an increasing awareness of and desire to 'feel' more from line and fish--I'm leaning toward a more relaxed action in a rod.

We'll see where the journey ends. As I get older, I seem to be getting soft in the head, but I like the idea of 'mating' the sublime of a stream experience with the tools; instead of the tool just simply being a tool that I use when enjoying waters.

fdavis
11-02-2010, 05:46 AM
Did anyone mention the Scott Fibretouch... The #1 is a gorgeous little piece of glass for the small streams... The #4 is also a fantastic rod rod for stronger fish in a small stream environment - like the Clanwilliam Yellowfish of the Cederberg in SA.

I'm also lucky enough to have a Hardy JJTriumph that was my Grandad's - still with two tips and very fishable.

At the moment I'm fishing a #8 Scott SAS (notice a pattern?) on the flats and while is soft enough to put a charlie gently in front of a skittish bone, still has great backbone for chucking bigger flies and windy days...

TROUTI
11-02-2010, 07:43 PM
I prefer my 7 1/2 foot 4 wgt Trout Bum, 4 piece.

Mostyn
11-04-2010, 12:38 PM
I like using lightweight tackle most of the time on River or Stream!

My favourite stream rod is a 6ft.3in, #3,weight, Tim Harris (Harris Cane Fly Rods -UK) cane rod - Catanach Taper! it's very lightweight, comparable with carbon rods of the same length; and it's a joy to fish with, especially with a silk line! I also love my 6ft,#2,weight Hardy Flyweight; and will alternate my stream fishing between these two rods!

Also have a couple of 7ft,#3,weight rods, for those larger streams.

Rivers? I use an 8ft.6in, #3, #4./ 9ft, #4, /and a 10ft,#4, - #4,weight is my heaviest fly fishing combination!

Lotech Joe
05-21-2011, 07:11 PM
My favorite is a 7 1/2 foot, 4 piece, 4/5 weight, Batson RX7 that I built myself. It has a half wells grip, with a down locking cap & ring teak wood reel seat. The stripper guide is a green agate double foot, with double foot snakes the rest of the way out with emerald green wraps. I wrapped the rod in a mottled green sock with a Christian fish embroidered emblem. I tried to imitate one of Orvis' older traditional Superfine rods, and I think I nailed it. The cost of the components was just over $160.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/Lotech1/100_1016.jpg

Sagebrush
07-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Favorites are my Sage 490-4 RPL and a sweet little 7'6" Payne 100 4wt built for me by Mike Shay.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/Duffwood/Sniper-The%20making%20of%20a%20Cane%20Rod/23SniperBloodied.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/Duffwood/Sniper-The%20making%20of%20a%20Cane%20Rod/21RodBeaudex2.jpg

hdrmd
10-22-2014, 09:36 AM
PHY Midge. Far and away my favorite small stream rod. And it is excellent on larger streams. DRhttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/eb9b3624f397a39fb09ceacf4ccfb4a7.jpg