PDA

View Full Version : Time on the stream

gusstrand
10-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Some people prefer to be unencumbered on the water... but... what is your timepiece? Mine is either an atomic Solar GShock or a Seiko "Black Monster." The Seiko is what's on my wrist 99% of the time anyway.

How about you?

greendrake
10-21-2009, 10:08 AM
It won't win any prizes but for hunting and fishing I wear a black, battery powered Armitron.Bought on sale at K-Mart for $15.This is the same watch I always used for work also.Wasn't out much if I lost,broke or just plain ruined it.I bought it mainly because it has a button on that when pushed lights up the area where the time is displayed.That way I could tell the time prior to sunrise while hanging 20' in the air on the side of a tree in my climbing tree stand while hunting deer :lol:
Will

gusstrand
10-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Very cool. The bottom line is it WORKS for you. That's what matters. :)

adam
10-21-2009, 02:52 PM
gus, I don't wear a watch, ESPECIALLY onstream.

I'm looking for time to get away from me, looking to get "in the zone"

Remember that old story that was posted here?

Local fisher (Arizona) writes about how time gets away from him, how sometimes he covers miles in minutes and other times it takes hours to get to the next meadow.

That's what I'm looking for.

The way I do it is by guesstimation. I look at the angle of the sun and how far back I am. Usually I carry a GPS as well if I am more than a couple of miles away.

If I had a watch to wear, it would be one of three options.

Two swatches, enough of that.

A ROLEX, more enough of that.

A baby G-Shock. The G is in my future, lovely little watches.

I'll still leave it in the car though.

No watch on stream, no cell phone, everything is to remove me from everything and to get me in the zone.

gusstrand
10-21-2009, 03:26 PM
I was waiting for that. :) Somehow, I just knew it. :)

For me, everything is time-bound. I don't like it, but it just is. Has been for years. Fishing has always been "I'll be home by 7" or... "I have to be at work by 9" or whatever. Work, Kids, life... it's all slotted in time for me. I've learned to live with it and accept it.

The GShock I have was a gift from a knife friend. It's TOO accurate. It's solar, so it will run in theory, forever. The dang thing synchs three times a day with the NIST atomic clock in Boulder. It's never wrong... I actually don't like that.

The Seiko is all mechanical, and winds with my body movement. It gains and loses time and I have to reset it once a week... In non 31 day months I have to change it... (Good thing I have the GShock, eh?) It's elegantly simple, and brutally tough. It glows like a freaking reactor, which is a requirement...

-G

mems
10-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Aloha, Casio fishing watch, love those four fish days! Mems.

stevekiley
10-21-2009, 05:10 PM
i am a bit old school,when its dark im out of luck but i should of probably been home anyway,here is my time piece and lighter for kicks,steve
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj153/stevekiley/IMGP1499.jpg
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj153/stevekiley/IMGP1500.jpg

Cross Creek
10-25-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm rapidly coming to the point where I won't wear a watch anywhere, much less on the water. I've lived a life ruled by accurate timekeeping, for navigation, for dives, for targeting, for meetings . . . Even now when that life is over, I feel surrounded by timepieces, on my computer, in my car, on my phone (another device I'd like to ditch, but). I own a few watches, five, actually--two Swiss (solid as a Swiss bank, before the IRS got hold of them), two Citizen Eco Drives (which I put away after they started dying and I discovered that the solar drive relies on a battery that must be installed, in the case of solid case Promasters, at the factory in Japan--not very "Eco"), one slick-looking Danish jobbie that I can't read except in the right light--probably a good reason for wearing it.
-CC

Ernest
10-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Like some of the others here, I don't carry a watch on stream. Also, no phone, no GPS, no compass, no camera, no map. It's nothing personal, it's just that I don't think I need them. Sometimes I'm back in the forest a long way from the road. I've never slept in the woods unplanned. I got close to that once or twice, but it wouldn't have mattered if I had.

I do own a couple of watches. The battery ran down on one and I haven't replaced it. I think I could find the working one, if I looked around. I seem to get to the places I need to be on time.

terry
10-26-2009, 10:52 AM
I have a young family and seem to always have a set time I need to be home. A Casio is what I wear on my wrist. Can't remember the model-???

edeltrouts
10-28-2009, 02:05 PM
I wear a Seiko
day & night, sommer & winter, over water & under water and somtimes nothing else :lol:

http://www.edeltrouts.de/getackle/basics/seiko.jpg

thomas

Mostyn
11-03-2009, 08:04 AM
TIMEX EXPEDITION!! It's Water-proof and keeps good time, also it's not expensive!